Surfacing

In a decaying society, art if it is truthful must also reflect decay. And unless it wants to break faith with its social function, art must show the world as changeable. And help to change it.
                                                                                                                            - Ernst Fisher



I was seven, I went running out of my house on a rainy day, once wet, looking for orangey, red clumps on the ground usually covered with dirt. I picked up one of these clumps. Thus began my love affair with clay. Sixteen years later, my teacher plonked a bag of clay in my hands and helps me continue my odyssey.

Unknowingly, a temperament in me I never knew existed came to light. I strongly believe it is clay to have brought this into existence. This temperament in turn helping me mould clay. A collateral damage had been done.

Hence, Surfacing.

















Comments

  1. Really great work Akila. Congratulations on a great firing and can't wait to see the many more to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shreenu :)
      The works you see above and the ones I am going to post in the near future are made over a span of two years, which includes four firings. It was indeed a great experience, and it was nice to have run into you during my stay in Auroville.

      Delete
  2. Hi I love to see them in your show today

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts