Candling Flowers

The kids at the school I teach at asked me what I was creating, I couldn't gather enough courage to tell them,these little forms in clay were created to address my thoughts, thoughts that included 132 children just like them, buds of flowers, which were supposed to blossom, but burnt to ashes.

I could only think of the following quote by Arundhati Roy, while they kept asking me what these little forms meant,and for the first time I could not give them an answer. I don't know if I had done right or wrong by not telling them, but I know for sure what happened to those 132 little souls in Peshawar is definately WRONG.

“Flags are bits of colored cloth that governments use first to shrink-wrap people’s brains and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead. When independent-thinking people (and here I do not include the corporate media) begin to rally under flags, when writers, painters, musicians, film makers suspend their judgment and blindly yoke their art to the service of the “Nation,” it’s time for all of us to sit up and worry."



Comments

Popular Posts